Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Deja Vu City / Nanning, China

Nanning wasn't unlike the last few Chinese cities I'd explored (with exception to HK) with it's indistinguishable city blocks concrete towers, alleyways, open air restaurants, retails shops and the obligatory sinus intruding market. I noticed a pattern in on my stroll...cell phone store, dumpling shop, clothing outlet, electronic shop, bank, lottery dispenser, corner store, repeat, over and over for blocks and blocks. Then, I found the park, a breath of fresh air in a city where diesel belching cars and trucks roar past, you're on the constant look out for rogue kamikaze motorbikes and everyone seems to be smoking and spitting. It was here I discovered the peculiar hobby of public dance lessons...no I didn't take part, but it was amusing to see. On one side of the clearing a group of women waving around bright red fans in sequence while on the other side another group honed their Salsa skills. Women, young and old just hanging out in the park learning to dance, I thought it was terrific.

Markets, when I first got here I was all about 'going to the market' seeing how people live and shop and what they eat and how it's laid out and well, having wandered through at least 25 such markets so far I think it's safe to say I'm over that urge. However if they would like to travel to Canada, pay a visit to Safeway or Superstore and take pictures of all the 'weird stuff' than I'd be happy to show them the way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home