Tuesday, March 15, 2005

From "The Grudge" to Hong Kong

Japan, a city that resembles a perpetually moving keleidascope of neon lit advertisements, flashing street signs and glittery store fronts, with about a 13 million people thrown into the spin just for good measure. Yeah, yeah...so there are a lot of people...no, you don't understand...there are A LOT OF PEOPLE, everywhere, at all times...except when you're shuffling thru the dodgy alleyway late at night in search of your hostel, then it's just you...and the girl from "The Grudge" I have imagined is following me wherever I go just to keep things that much more interesting.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa- aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa - aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa- aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ha ha, seriously my dorm room in Tokyo was just like the bedroom in the movie and I swear I heard that little kid's feet pitter-pattering back and forth. I didn't lift the panel in the ceiling to look, I mean, I might be crazy, but I'm not stupid...ok, I am a little stupid, but not THAT stupid.

It wasn't bad, until I was all alone in the cavernous dimly lit bowels of Narita airport at 2am...I was in the washroom and had all but forgotten that greasy haired little stalker... (yes, you will have had to seen to movie for this to be even remotely amusing.) Then as if by que, over the sound the automatic hand dryer I heard her...Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa - aaaaaaaa - aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

It was coming from one of the bathroom stalls...I didn't go and check. Quite the opposite...I slip slided my socked feet out the door, around the corner and down the shadowy corridor, toothbrush in hand, bolting until I got back to my bed (ie. row of chairs) and that was that...there were a few other people around and she crawls really slow so I figured she wouldn't try anything. Feeeewwww, that was a close one!!!

Ok, so back to reality, for every sq. km in Japan there are 328 people. PER KM! is that even possible, so that's like a person every 3 feet...here's where the 'people everywhere, all the time wherever you go' idea really fleshes out. You won't really get it until your standing in the middle of it, and I did and well, that's enough for now...less internet, more world.

I'm now in Hong Kong...ah yes HK...where the air is crisp and grey and there is a lingering scent of freshly cooked...ass...uh, I'm not sure, but yeah I think that may very well be slow cooked ass. I'm off to investigate, I'll get back to you soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home