Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Social Studies / Luang Prabang, Loas

An impressive though somewhat crumbling collection French quarters and sleepy temples. There are 44 in total, I managed to get in about half that and it was more than enough. You see, wats are like cathedrals in Europe though all are impressive and one should really see them in person, if you look at too many in a row they all just start to look the same. Unlike China Central Loas was hot and sunny so a day of exposure wasted me, but not before I would be introduced to Beth. Beth, the frizzy haired brit whose stories of heavy drinking, black outs and experimental drug use were as amusing to her as she told the tales as it was for us to hear them...wow, I thought now here was an element of traveling that I was missing.

My social skills had somewhat regressed in the solitude of China, but tonight I was out with a group and happy to throw in a tale or two. We chit chatted for a bit as the movie Troy played out in the background, then headed to another bar run by a leather faced expat from San Francisco. He had older look in his eyes. He wore a black knock off, Von Dutch t-shirt and looked like he might be an interesting character.

Then the words "Heeey, you look like one of those computer nerds.", dribbled out of his mouth in my direction and screwed up the forming impression.

The first thing that came to mind was "Yeah funny thing about assumptions, I thought you looked like a recovering homosexual alcoholic, but you know I didn't wanna say anything", but I didn't let that one go.

Within seconds a half cut brit couple from Maaaanchester piped up beside me concurred
"Yeah, a rich one."

I was surrounded by idiots I thought, but quickly reminded myself it could be much worse...at least I KNEW what it was they were saying and decided in an instant that I preferred this situation over one where I was surrounded by snickering Chinese. I was in Loas and I was having a laugh, bottom line. In the end I played off the 'computer nerd' brand to my advantage and got them all laughing at themselves while I basked in comments like "Canadians are al-right with me" and "Pity to hear about that hockey thing mate" LOL.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home